Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Breaking Bread Together, Shanghai Style

After bargaining for red paper lanterns, miniature dragons, hats, silk robes and handbags in the market for much of the day it was time for a rest. I swear…shopping really does wear you out. Tim, April and I were drawn into a store front tea shop where we sat and sampled various types of tea around a wooden table. We learned the difference between oolong, black and green. It was a similar study to the nuances of Cabernet, Syrah and Pinot. How did the nose vary from the palate of this particular Dragon Well green tea? Our hostess boiled water, steeped tea and poured a tasting of each as we sat and talked about her life in Shanghai. She taught me how to count to 10 on my hands in Chinese. Who knew there was a different way to count on your fingers? We left after an hour with several bundles of blooming tea. I don’t know exactly how to explain them…they start out as a tight green ball of tea, and then bloom to flowers after hot water is poured on them. I’m looking forward to the next time I gather with San Luis Obispo friends to share this tea, thinking of our time spent breaking bread, Shanghai style.
--- Ali Semon

No comments: